Tuesday 6 October 2009

Real fights

It comes down to repetitive drilling - drilling a technique so it becomes second nature - and instinctive response.

I've been in some bad fights in my time on the door.
One of the worst was a night when 3 of us were working and a big kick off happened and it went right out of control, so we had to wade in to deal with it.

I got hit from the side and my right eye closed, and the left one was seeing stars. We were getting pummelled. The training took over and I just zeroed in on chins with my right cross. I was getting hit, but not as hard as they were, and we managed to turn the situation around.

Had I started flailing wildly I would have been in trouble - it was focussing that made my shots work and conditioning that enabled me to take the shots they were sending me.

Boxing was mentioned above and that is a great way to develop this kind of instinctive response. So is Muay Thai and Judo.

Pressure testing - don't rely on a ref to stops things if you start taking too much punishment. If you go down you have to get back up again. You can't tap out.

It's not really a case of remembering your art - it's a case of that art being made functional for real combat in the first place.

If you've been standing on a sugar pedastal it'll just collapse when the rain falls.