Wednesday 30 September 2009

The Captain

This was a name I was "awarded" during my time leading a competition team.

I was, of course, Captain of the team and often got called "Captain", or "Skipper".

It occured to me that this was a good thing. Rather than being a General or Manager who sat back and gave orders I was a Captain who led from the front.

In the dojo, then and today, I am not someone who gives orders and stands back, but who works out as a member of the class. From the student's points of view, you know this training is authentic, because it is MY training. You do it with me - or I do it with you, depending how you see it.

So rather than being some distant "Sensei" I am the Captain, just a member of the team.

It's the same as being the big brother of a family - not of a higher, older generation like a Father or Uncle, just someone who's been around a bit longer and has more experience.

I refer to everyone as "members" of Shiro Tora" rather than "students".
(Or even worse, as "my students"!)

I view members of Shiro Tora as just that - members of a family.

In "My dojo" I have members who train WITH me, not students who train under me.

In our team I am The Captain - just a member of the team, the most important member obviously, but just a member like anyone else.

In military terms I am not an Officer who you all salute, call "Sir" and take orders from. I am the sergeant - just a soldier like you, who has risen through the ranks and earnt his stripes one by one (which is all belts in MA are).

A Black Belt should not be viewed as an Officer, but as a sergeant.

Sure you respect your sergeant and obey his orders - he has more experience than you and can kick your ass! But what you do is follow his lead and learn from him. Call him something casual like "Sarge" not "Sir".