Tuesday 30 August 2022

Achilles

 Another name I picked up during my Vale Tudo days at the turn of the Century was "Achilles".


I like to tell people this was after the Brad Pitt character in the movie Troy. However it is a reference to my use of the Achilles lock in groundgrappling.

Most people with my background in Judo and Wrestling, with upper body strength, were expected to go for the pins and look for armbars and chokes. If caught in The Guard we were expected to pass and go for the top position, a strategy which put us in danger of being caught in a sangaku or juji.

Though I did usually go for a quick mount at the start of a fight, if faced with a more skillfull opponent who rolled to his back and attempted to pull me into the guard, rather than falling for the trap, I would roll away, holding his leg, and go for the achilles lock for the tapout.

(Ken Shamrock defeated Pat Smith in UFC 1 with an achilles move into an ankle lock.)

This "stepping back" to go for a long range technique, rather than closing and doing the obvious, was a strategy consistent with my use of long range spinning kicks in my SC days - something few heavyweight fighters employed, and which perplexed fighters who weren't used to it or expecting it.

A good example of tactic being more important than technique.

NB: As for the Troy Achilles - is some of my stick fights, employing my Psycho Steve persona, I wasn't too far removed from Achille's solo fights in the film.

The first fight he rushes straight at a huge opponent with no fear and executes a kradot 6 to the subclavian. The giant drops down dead. Achilles stands in front of the entire army and offers them out "Is there no one else?!" Unsurprisingly there are no takers.

In his fight with Hector he is the personification of the concepts of power and pressure. He defeats Hector in much the same way as Tyson eliminated his early opponents.

And as for the scene where he leads the Myrmadens to take the beach at Troy - that is a great comparison with the way a Captain should lead his competition team.

I have made a post about why we will call our VT style Achilles Vale Tudo: