Tuesday 30 August 2022

STMA Class discipline - 10 Rules

 At STMA we train in a relaxed informal manner. It is a more enjoyable environment and more conducive to learning the the rigid "martial" style of traditional karate classes.


Students do not bow to me or call me "Sensei".
Some call me "Guv". This is encouraged, though not expected, though many Seniors will only call me Guv during class and will encourage juniors to do the same.

However, there are certain rules that must be adhered to.
Members are expected to learn and adhere to them to make the class work and Seniors are expected to help juniors learn them.

Gentle reminders are best, but I will push the rules vociferously if needs be or a greater level of control and discipline is needed at a certain time.

1. This IS a martial arts class and I AM the Sensei. You are the students.

2. I am the ONLY person who is there to teach. The rest of you are there to learn.

3. By all means, ask me questions, but don't try to tell me things. You are not there to tell me things you are there so I can tell you things.

4. This one is quite harsh so I only pull it out when I have to:
If I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!

5. This is a class not a discussion group. See Rule 4.

6. Forget what you think you know. Leave it at the door. Empty your cup.

7. I don't care what you've done at other classes. Leave it at the door. I don't care what you've been told at some other class or by some other teacher, here all that matters is what you are told by me.

8. Nobody came here to listen to you they all came to listen to me. They all paid money to listen to me. If you are speaking up in class you are wasting other people's time and money, which is rude to them. See Rule 5.

9. Don't talk over me and don't EVER talk back to me. If I give you a command in class the only response I want to hear is "Yes, Guv".

10. Don't try showing things to your fellow members. I am the only person who is there to teach. See Rule 2. When you are partnered with someone he will practice his techniques on you and let you practice your moves on him. You are not there to tell him how to do his moves. Recieve the move with good grace and keep your mouth shut while you do it. If you feel the urge to start "instructing" consider this - are you really trying to help your partner improve or are you trying to feed your own ego and look like some kind of expert? See Rule 8. Also consider this - as well as being rude to your fellow member you are being rude to me - who the hell are you to come into MY class and try to teach MY students? See Rule 6.

The only exception to these rules is if I ask a senior to guide a junior in a particular move or drill on a particular occassion. The Senior will still not be instructing, just guiding. The instruction will have already come from the instructor. Only the instructor can TEACH and move or drill to ANY student.