Tuesday 30 August 2022

The Maths behind group training

 In a group of 10 people there are 45 possible ways to make a pairing of 2 people.


Each member will get the chance to pair up with up to 9 partners in a session.

Interestingly there are also 45 possible ways to create a group of 8. So when I take 2 students aside to work with me in a three, I can take into account the way the other members will be paired up for drilling.

This is a mathematical matrix I have been using to plan long term development in training groups such as STMA over the years.

When you consider the various training methods we employ including double stix, single stick, the various sparring, lox, chokes, and grappling, it takes a long time to do all the training with every possible partner.

This is why I will sometimes watch sparring sessions and take greater care in deciding who drills what with who.