Tuesday 30 August 2022

Reality training

 Those of you who attend my classes and read my published work will be aware that I don't tell a lot of "war stories".


You will know I was a bouncer for 10 years and everything I teach for reality is based on that - reality. But I don't talk about it a lot or focus on it. You may have wondered why.

(It is why I am so down on kids who still live at home with their parents who think they have been trained by Israeli commandos to be deadly streetfighters - that is just a fantasy that will get you hurt or killed!)

The techniques and tactics that worked for me I taught to my students who worked on my door teams and the methods worked for them as well.

I had many students and clients who I also taught my method to who were never on the frontline at the weekends but for who, through law of averages, came up against the need to defend themselves on occasion, and also found our method to work for them. These were far less regular, but did occur and I am glad to say the "victim" came through unharmed.

It is a mistake to concern yourself too much with HOW my fights happened.

When I was working in a venue I was in a position of power and authority. I would be approaching difficult customers from that perspective, to ask them to calm down or leave. I was taking control of an escalating situation.

You will be in a place minding your own business and somebody will approach YOU and "offer" you violence.

So we start the training from THAT point - from the Fence when the attacker has approached YOU.

And the techniques we teach will work the way we teach for YOU from that point.

Train for reality - don't go into theory or abstraction and certainly don't go off into FANTASY.

You are not a Shaolin, or a Ninja, or a Samurai, or an Israeli commando. You are not even a bouncer. But you are being trained by a bouncer who has trained other bouncers and other "normal" people who have used this method in self defence on numerous occassions over a period of more than a decade.

Keep it REAL!



It is eleven years since I first posted this, and the information in it was over a decade old at the time, in the sense that I had been teaching the concepts in the security field as early as the late Nineties

Though not posted on the Forum before, as I had no intention of directly teaching Security Concepts to bouncers again, I will post the Three Scenariios here

There are three main scenarios a bouncer will face and at thus point the confrontation will start, be contained, or escalate

One - customer at the door refused entry

Two - customer inside who you have to ask to leave

Three - customers start fighting, you need to stop the fight and get them out


How to manage these scenarios will be discussed further in sessions where relevant - unless you are working Security you will not be facing these situations, you will be potentially facing Self Defenece situations, you will just be applying the same techniques and knowledge